Australia is one of the desirable and welcoming study destinations for international students. The Australian government has announced a variety of visa measures intended to assist students. These visa measures will be temporary, and will only be in force for as long as they are required.
Student Visa Fees
Government will waive the visa application cost to enable students to apply for a new student visa to finish their studies. This will be offered to students who obtained a student visa on or after 1 February 2020 and were unable to finish their course within the validity period of their original visa due to the effects of COVID-19. This category includes students who:
- postpone their studies because they were unable to visit Australia due to travel restrictions
- were forced to lower their academic burden to part-time
- were not able to complete their work-based training or assignments
These visa measures are not meant for students who are asking for a new student visa for ordinary reasons, such as failing a course or unit of study, postponed a course for personal reasons or reduced their study load deliberately.
Whether the application is onshore or offshore, it must be submitted online. Attached a completed Form 1545-COVID-19 Impacted Students from your educational institution which is required for approval of your fee waiver.
Eligibility For a Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) Visa
The Government has amended the eligibility criteria for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa for those who have been affected by COVID-19:
- Online study conducted outside Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions will count towards the Australian study requirements for current and new student visa holders.
- Graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions can apply for and obtain a temporary graduate visa outside Australia (where they meet all requirements).
If you are applying from outside Australia, you must currently possess or have had a student visa within the last 12 months to apply.
Extended Time Frames For Additional Information- English Tests, Biometrics and Health
The government will provide you more time to submit your English language exam results if you were unable to take the exam due to COVID-19. Additionally, more time will be allocated for biometrics collection and health screenings in areas where COVID-19 caused service disruptions.